Planning or considering a kid-friendly wedding? No Problem, we’ve got you covered! We understand it can be challenging when deciding whether to include children in the wedding festivities, especially nowadays with limited numbers. But if you do decide to include them, we have a few tips from some industry professionals on the best way to give your little loved ones a memorable experience at your wedding.
- Pick some fun songs that the kids will love: “Dance! Kids love getting on the dance floor, especially with the bride and groom! Pick some fun songs that the kids will love and play them earlier in the night before the babysitters come and sweep them off to bed! Bonus: ask them what song they want to hear the band or DJ play!” – Jamie Bohlin, Cape Cod Celebrations
- Remember, games aren’t only for adults! “Incorporate big, oversized lawn games like corn hole, giant Jenga, and giant connect four. These are a blast for all ages and can be set up outdoors or indoors. Croquet & ping pong tables are always fun options if you’re opting for an outdoor affair as well!” – Jessica Williams Flores, Founder, WeddingSitter
- Design a kid-friendly program: “If you are going to include kids at your wedding reception, they are your guests as well, so put as much thought into their entertainment as the adults! Design a kid-friendly program that serves double duty as a coloring book to keep them entertained at your ceremony. During the reception, plan for sitters to set up a room with movies, video games, arts + crafts, or the like so parents can enjoy the festivities knowing their kiddos are in good hands.” – Nora Sheils, Founder Bridal Bliss + Co-Founder Rock Paper Coin
- Include different forms of age-friendly entertainment: “Hire a magician to perform a show that not only is fun for the children but entertains your adult guests too! Everyone LOVES magic! You can also hire a balloon artist to twist balloons into animals, hats, and all kinds of figures! Balloon artists can also create beautiful balloon arrangements to add to your wedding décor.” – Jessica Williams Flores, Founder, Wedding Sitter
- Try having a kid-only table during the reception: “I think having some activities for kids at weddings is a great idea to keep them entertained and to give parents a break! A few things you can do are decorate a kid-only table during the reception and make it extra fun for them. Include activity books, crayons, stickers, etc. or you can even give them a fun box to eat their meals out of! Another great idea is having a fun vendor for everyone and them like a cotton candy cart, an ice cream cart, or even a candy table where they can fill up their own bags.” – Kari Dirksen -CEO + Lead Planner, Feathered Arrow Events
- Coordinate a dance to include children: “Include a display of vases filled with glow sticks, glow crowns, and necklaces for kids to wear for the dance floor. Kids and Adults LOVE dancing with glow sticks!” – Jessica Williams Flores, Founder, Wedding Sitter
- Make it interactive: “Set up a candy bar, ice cream sundae making bar, donut making station, cotton candy station, or cupcake & cookie decorating station for a fun interactive activities that are guaranteed to have both the kids and adult’s attention!” – Jessica Williams Flores, Founder, Wedding Sitter